History

Chippewa Valley Bank's roots go back to 1917, when it was first chartered by the State of Wisconsin in the small pioneer community of Winter. There was not much growth in the bank for many of the early years, with only basic banking products and services being offered. However, the bank was a pillar of strength for the small village and contributed to the development of the area. The bank survived the Great Depression and actually came out of that era strong enough to buy out the assets of the failed Radisson Bank in 1936.

Radisson became Chippewa Valley Bank's first additional office expansion. Growth was limited at the bank for the next 42 years until the present stockholders took control of the bank in 1978. Since that time, the bank has grown significantly from assets of five million dollars to assets of nearly $300 million. In 1990, an office was opened in Bruce. Additional offices were opened in 1994 and 1999 in Hayward and Weyerhaeuser, respectively. In 2003, Chippewa Valley Bank expanded northward to Lake Nebagamon, and in 2004, the bank expanded eastward to Lac du Flambeau. Three new offices were added in the northern Wisconsin communities of Bayfield and Iron River in 2007 and in Washburn in 2010. The bank continued growing by adding Ashland and Superior in 2012, and in March, 2014, Chippewa Valley Bank opened its 13th location in the Hurley/Ironwood area. In keeping with the bank's tradition, the entire directorate, management and staff of Chippewa Valley Bank are committed to continuing as active and integral parts of all the communities our bank serves.

History Image
August 14th, 1917 - Winter, WI